trout_water_537_rondout Creek_new_york_w937_281a.jpg Header text

drop down menu by

Latest Update on Anthony

Posted on June 1, 2016 by lkennerly

Hello All,

Just finished my follow-up visit with the cardiologist and it was all really good news. The catheterization surgery and drugs are doing their jobs and I am free to begin physical activities again unrestricted. He said the mild heart attack did no permanent damage and that my prognosis is excellent. Because I checked out so well today, it may mean that they hold off on the second surgery until later this year or early 2017. They want to watch how it goes for a couple of months. Doctor prescribed some sleep medicine to help with the sleep I am losing because of the blood pressure medicine. I have not had a full night´s sleep since the surgery. I was up at 2:30AM this morning wide awake and now I am pretty tired. Contact Laura for Anthony´s address

God Bless and Tight Lines

Anthony Hipps

Anthony Hipps Update
Posted on June 1, 2016 by

I received this from Anthony 5/25/16, but was I in transition between CA & NC.
Sorry for the Delay.

Hello Friends

Thank you for all of your prayers. The prayers for my protection were answered and I am alive and kicking, even if lightly for a few days.

The heart catheterization yesterday morning did not go as planned and they had to stop the operation prior to inserting bathe stint. They told me during preparation that this is a routine 45-minute surgery and there is a 1/200 chance that something can go wrong. I became that statistic and was in surgery for over two hours. So if you are one of the next 199 people to get this procedure, you will be fine (I still have my sense of humor J).

There was more artery blockage than the stress test showed or the doctor anticipated, I experienced a mild heart attack ¾ way through the procedure and they ceased the catheterization. I was awake through the whole procedure and the mild attack felt like getting hit by a hammer in the neck and chest. I had a 100% blockage in an artery which they could not fully clear. Robin and I met with the surgeon (Dr. Juna) this morning and got more clarity on what is going on. He was able to open up the clogged artery enough to allow some blood flow, but not as much as he wanted. He wants to perform another surgery in 6-8 weeks and add the stint or do a by-pass. I do have some slight scaring damage from a previous mild heart attack that probably happened over a year ago. That was an eye-opener and a wake-up-call. I didnt even remember experiencing a previous heart attack.

They let me go home this afternoon, but I will be out of work the rest of this week. I can return to work unrestricted next Tuesday. I am allowed to do some light computer work from home this week, but Dr. Juna doesn´t want me physically moving around a lot for a few days. They have me on nitroglycerin and some pretty serious blood thinners. He doesn´t want me to start bleeding. My prognosis for a full recovery is excellent. He is confident that I will not experience another heart attack in the near future and the surgery will fix it. I am starting to feel human again this evening.

I love and appreciate you all so much.

God Bless (and for you fishermen) Tight Lines

Anthony Hipps

Anthony Hipps Medical Alert
Posted on May 25, 2016 by

This is a communication to inform you that yesterday, while undergoing a procedure to put in a stint into a blocked area of his carotid artery, Anthony suffered a mild heart attack. The stint procedure was cancelled due to the heart attack and he spent the evening in the cardiac care unit at High Point Regional Hospital. This morning he was discharged and is currently at home resting. The procedure was considered minimally invasive and was supposed to last just a few minutes. However, that turned out to not be the case and now he is facing the prospect of additional surgery, possibly another attempt at a stint placement or open heart bypass surgery. Doctors told him when they got into the artery they discovered more damage/blockage from a previous heart attack that he apparently did not remember having.

He will be allowed to return to normal job activities in a week or so, but no excessive lifting or exercise that might raise blood pressure. For now he will remain at home with bed rest. The future is a bit uncertain but one thing is certain medically, and that is the blockage has to be bypassed or otherwise addressed within a few weeks or he will have another heart attack. He is in minimal danger at present since they used a wire to poke a hole through the blockage for blood flow improvement.

He is in good spirits, and has a great outlook about the future. As a devout Christian, he puts his trust in the Lord for all things, including his damaged circulatory system. Please pray for Anthony in the coming days as he recovers and gets ready for the surgical procedure. For now, he is "off the water" as far as fishing goes.

He would like to hear from his friends via email, phone etc, just not today.

January 13th, Tuesday @ 7pm Leonard Recreation Center - George Palmer with Virginia Dept. of Game & Inland Fisheries will talk about sampling results for the Smith River. The stream sampling was done in August. George has some very interesting data regarding the numbers and size of fish in the Smith from the dam to Bassett, and below the Martinsville Dam. George is new to the Smith River District; he was previously further west in the Grayson Highlands area. You may also have questions for him regarding fish counts and type in that area.

Web Master: Steve Salkow -     Search these pages    Where we meet - Leonard Center